Dr. David Abriel, CCFP, FCFP, CAC-Palliative Care (posthumous)
Dr. David Abriel is the recipient of the 2017 Dr. Charles & Mrs. Jean Gass Lifetime Achievement Award. He is being honoured for his lifetime commitment to family medicine and to the community he served. It is recognized that Dr. Abriel’s remarkable accomplishments throughout his life and career would not have been possible without the loving strength and support of his wife, Heather.
Dr. Abriel practiced family medicine in Mahone Bay and the surrounding area for 20 years; and dedicated the past 14 of those years to being a friendly, compassionate, and generous palliative care physician in Lunenburg and Queens Counties.
In addition to providing medical care, Dr. Abriel provided comfort through his music. He and Heather were gifted musicians who shared their music with the palliative care team, patients, and their families.
Dr. Abriel was a teacher and mentor to many. He was a dedicated lifelong learner and also a passionate supporter of Dying with Dignity. Highly regarded by his colleagues and community, his upbeat, approachable demeanor made him a beam of light in a potentially dreary environment. Dr. Abriel and his wife Heather will be greatly missed by all who had their lives touched by them.
Description & Criteria
This award :
- will honour individuals who are/were our trailblazers and leaders in family medicine and who made a significant career contribution to family medicine during their active career years.
- will give public recognition to their work and to our discipline.
- will be presented at the Annual Awards Banquet.
Nomination & Selection Process
- Nominations for the Dr. Charles and Mrs. Jean Gass Lifetime Achievement Award are invited from CFPC members.
- Nominations may be made in writing to the NSCFP office.
- The Dr. Charles and Mrs. Jean Gass Lifetime Achievement Award will be considered when an exceptional nomination is made and will not necessarily be presented on an annual basis.
- Nominees must be 50 years of age or older.
- Posthumous nominations will be accepted.
2018 NSCFP Award Nominations are Now Open!
Click on a link to download the nomination form:
Award of Excellence
Nova Scotia’s Family Physician of the Year
Dr. Charles & Mrs. Jean Gass Lifetime Achievement Award
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT NOMINATIONS: 6 April, 2018
The College of General Practice: In Dr. Charles L. Gass’ Words